Friday, July 16, 2010

Slowly Breaking...

Today is the 2nd full day in paradise. Lastnight was a major struggle for her. Starting at 5:45 pm her NG Tube decided "Oh I want to bleed", so it was dripping blood for about 6 hours on and off. She kept saying that it hurt. I kept getting the nurse each time it started back up & all she said was that is it trauma in the esophagus from it being inserted. Bennetts anxiety level at this point is sky high. At 6:30 she received a visit from 3 special four-legged furry friends. It brought a smile to her face. It was all she talked about for the rest of the night. Shortly after starting to eat dinner, which is the dinner of champs (jello, broth && apple juice) she began throwing up bloody mucous. This is what they were trying to avoid. She received a dose of Zofran and it worked instantly for a short while. By now she has had enough & began pushing her nurses call button every 10-15 minutes, when poor Brittney came in she gave her the 3rd degree & for a 3 1/2 year old it was filled with anger and frustration. She told her "tell my doctor its ok I go home, i dont want anymore shots or pokes" & then she proceed to demand her to remove the IV & NG Tube. I had to chuckle a little because it is pretty sad that she has had enough to the point of telling them what is going to happen. She asked me to snuggle in bed with her, so I hopped in her bed & held her tightly, rubbing her hair & i told her that Mommy will make it all better. I soothed her until she fell asleep. She didn't sleep very well through the night. She was up several times. At about 6:50 am she hit the nurse button and so Bernie (the dense airheaded nurse) came waltzing in and said "Can I help you" Bennett replied "Im cold", Bozo asked "why?" & what came out of her mouth next shocked me. She sat up & proudly said "Because I pissed the bed, now change it". Bernie just looked at me and didn't know what to say. They disconnected the NG Tube from the bag at 7am because she had the maximum limit that was allowed for her age/weight. Lab came in and drew some blood, followed by respiratory therapy with their gear. She then went down for an xray to see what the NG Tube had done. Well the x-ray came back and there was absolute NO change whatsoever! So, we are siting here waiting to hear back from Dr. Maximack to see what he is going to decide to do. They stopped all liquids as of this am because she has a few procedures coming up at 1 oclock. One of the tests are too see how the pancreas is working and what shape it is in. Dr. Focht doesnt think he ever needed to be on the enzymes that her CF doctor put her on at 8 months old. & If that is the case then whatever damage is done to the pancreas could have been prevented. She is resting comfortably at the moment. She fell asleep about an hour ago & I am not waking her until they come to get her for the procedures. I will fill you all in again tonight. This is the complete update from lastnights blogs until now! Take Care!

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys, this is Glee (we met you and Bennett at miss Elaina's birthday party). I am so sorry to hear of the struggle you are enduring right now. My brother (CF, diagnosed 22 years ago) was recently hospitalized and he also had a lot of doctor's giving a LOT of different opinions. I understand how stressful it is and how you must fight to stay optimistic. I also see the emotional and physical toll it takes on our mom and her "baby boy" is 25 years old! I cannot imagine looking into my little daughter's eyes as she walked through such a painful, scary situation. I will pray God gives you strength to be her rock; wisdom to know whose advice to follow; and a fierceness to fight like hell for your beautiful little warrior-girl. Much love~ Gleowyn Pavlova

    ReplyDelete