Thursday, July 15, 2010

Intestinal Blockage...

Bennett has been experiencing intestinal/bowel blockages since February 2010. Her Cystic Fibrosis doctor wanted to toy with her medications too see if that would help. He upped her Miralax from 1 1/2 packs a day to 3 packs a day and also put her on Fletcher's Castoria ( liquid laxative). It seemed to have worked for about a week or so then she started having more & more belly pains. So, I took her to Lewistown's Emergency Department on March 31, 2010. They ran multiple tests & several CATscans. They determined it was appendicitis so they transported her to the Children's hospital for surgery. When we arrived to their Emergency Department they re-read all of the tests and realized it was an intestinal blockage. They immediately admitted her. They gave her a Tween 80 Enema & once again changed her medications around & after 5 days in paradise they sent her home. Things were going along pretty well! Then out of nowhere she started having severe pains again. I called her CF doctor and he referred her to a Gastrointestinal Specialist. Dr. Focht suggested to change her diet a little. They took an x-ray & her intestine looked a mess. He called me Friday evening the 9th & had said he wanted her to do a Miralax clean out which involved drinking 119 grams of Miralax mixed in a quart of gatorade. She did that on Tuesday morning and nothing happened, so I called him back and he said to have her take 3 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia. She took those like a champ & once again we have NOTHING! That night she was in a tubby of warm water and started throwing up. Which scared me because it was green foamy stuff. I called him Wednesday morning & he said that he couldn't see her until Tuesday of the following week to re-evaluate her. So, I reluctantly agreed and hung up the phone. Well within the hour she started to spike a fever & I immediately put her in my jeep & drove the 1 1/2 to Danville's Emergency Department. By now she hasn't eaten anything since about Sunday evening and stopped drinking Tuesday evening. We get to the ED down here. They took yet another x-ray and within the hour we had a room in paradise. They started IV fluids to get her re-hydrated and inserted an NG Tube through her nose and into her belly. That procedure was the worse thing I had ever had to struggle through. She was coughing up blood and begging me to help her because she was choking. My mom said that I lost all color in my face and I started to sweat. She had noticed I was shaking and started blacking out so I had to walk out and get fresh air. I prayed to god that I never have to go through this again or my babygirl! Well I think I have everyone up to date so I will do another blog for our 1st day in paradise with another intestinal blockage!

1 comment: