This is a different blog entry for me. I am posting this for other Cystic Fibrosis Mommies or just other Mommies to try this technique. Yesterday, while we were at her CF Appointment her physical therapist and I were talking about different methods of praise for when she cooperates to take her medications & vest. I was giving monetary praise each time she would sit through her vest/nebs and take her pills. Well it was getting really expensive plus she was only doing the things to get the money to go buy stuff. We came up with several different ideas and I wanted to post them for you guys to try if you would like.
At times things can get very stressful and trying when it comes to treatment time especially in the morning. I am very heartbroken each time that I have to hold her down and force her to do it. So I spoke with her physical therapist for ideas to help make this easier and will stop breaking the bank.
Praise Chain
This is similar to the paper chains you would make for holidays. Cut a bunch of strips of paper that are 1 inch wide by maybe 6 inches long. You can use paper with the child's favorite colors, patterns, animal patterns, etc on them. And each time that they take their medications, do their nebs and vest without a fuss, they get to add another "ring" on the chain. Allow them to tape/glue it on. It will make it even more fun for them. And set a goal for how long the chain has to be before they get a special prize or go to their favorite place, also choose which prize they are aiming for before beginning the chain. Once the chain gets to the goal length then they get a special prize.
Magical Fishy Bowl
This idea sounds really fun. Get a small glass jar or dish. Mark a "magical" line on it where you decide the goal height will be. Not too high up on the jar/dish because if it is too high then they may get discouraged. Once you do that then have the child choose what they want to put inside the "Magical Fishy Bowl" each time they do their meds/treatments. Some ideas can be marbles, wrapped pieces of candy, legos, their favorite dry cereal, etc. Once the "Magical Fishies" reached the goal line then they get their prize that they were aiming for. One "Magical Fishy" for each time they do the entire vest session or all of the meds without a fuss.
Sticker Chart
This is pretty self explanatory. Help draw your child draw up the chart and color it. Then allow them to pick their favorite stickers out. And put one on each time they do their treatments/meds and once it is filled they get their goal prize.
I will be adding more ideas to this blog as I think of more fun ways to help make treatment just a little more easier for everyone!
Some of the goals prizes that Bennett has chosen to aim for are:
Uncle Bubbie gets to take her to the firehouse for a few hours in the evening
She gets to have a friend spend the night
An Itunes card for her Ipod
Stay up late and have a special movie night

No comments:
Post a Comment